MIDDLE OF ROUTE 66: The Midpoint Cafe
Brenda Bradley operates The Midpoint Cafe, a popular stop where travelers stop for a picture in front of the famous sign. This is the second episode in a 3 part series featuring The Beginning, The Middle, and The End of Route 66.
- Earliest memory of Route 66
- Working as a waitress at The Midpoint Cafe and later purchasing the cafe
- One thing that Brenda wishes she knew before purchasing The Midpoint Cafe
- Welcome to Adrian, TX and nearby towns along Route 66
- Early history of The Midpoint Cafe (Zellas’ 1928)
- References in Cars movie (V-8 Cafe) and previous owners Fran Houser, Dan Purschwitz
- Origin of Ugly Crust Pies
- Annual output of updated Ugly Crust Pies (Midpoint Ugly Pie)
- Most popular flavors of pie that Route 66 customers want
- The Midpoint Cafe Gift Shop and popular souvenir items
- A typical day at the cafe at the height of tourism season
- Most memorable visitors and repeat customers
- The moment of panic: when a tour bus pulls into the parking lot
- Seasonal Hours
- Most popular gift shop items that Route 66 travelers are purchasing
- The most popular sign outside the cafe window
- The lure of Route 66
- Next on Brenda’s Bucket list
Facebook: The Midpoint Cafe
OUR YOUNGEST FAN SINGING THE ROUTE 66 JINGLE
Thank you to Route 66 Podcast & Scholarship supporters, including
- MidPoint Cafe, Adrian, TX – Featuring both their Ugly Crust Pie and one of the most popular photo ops along Route 66, located exactly halfway between Chicago and Santa Monica in Adrian, Texas.
- Gilligan’s Route 66 Tours featuring tours of Route 66 in Ford Mustang convertibles, stays at historic Route 66 motels, and daily breakfast.
- Mary Beth Busutil – Florida
- Jim Crabtree – California
- Mike Fort
- Route 66 author and photographer – Shellee Graham and also my guest on Episode # 10 where she talks about her book, Tales from the Coral Court Motel.
- Kristin Haakenson – Washington
- Rich Havlik – Minnesota
- Mary Nicholson – Pennsylvania
- Brian Sawyer – Indiana
And from the United Kingdom
- Charli Beeton
Please consider supporting both The Route 66 Podcast and Scholarship Program.
Congratulations to this months Patreon winner, Mary Nicholson, from Pennsylvania, who has won a bag of Route 66 brand snack Sweet & Salty flavored snack mix.