Roamin’ Rich represents the latest generation of preservationists dedicated to promote and preserve Route 66. He is the president of the Missouri Route 66 Association, a key member in the Painted Desert Trading Post cooperative, and the person behind most of the shields you see painted on the roadway.
Join host Anthony Arno as he talks with Roamin’ Rich about:
- His earliest memory of Route 66
- The popular nickname Roamin’ Rich
- His first act as a preservationist
- Painting Route 66 shields on the road
- His largest shield ever placed to honor Gary Turner
- The infamous Chevy hood with Route 66 signatures
- The Missouri Route 66 Association
- Roamin’ Rich and his YouTube channel
- The unknown fact about Route 66
- Most cherished souvenir
- Painted Desert Trading Post, Gasconade Bridge, and other projects
This extended version of The Route 66 Podcast is only available to Patreon members and also includes Rich talking in depth about:
- How he tried to honor Gary Turner with one of the largest Route 66 shields he ever painted in Paris Springs and why the Missouri DOT requested it be removed. Hear about the compromise they both agreed upon.
- Although it was never his intention to become president of the Missouri Route 66 Association, Rich talks about how the past president antagonized him one too many times and the final straw that caused him to run for president and overwhelmingly win the seat. You may be surprised at the grade he gives himself as president.
- His thoughts on the closing of the Eat-Rite Diner in St. Louis amidst a worldwide pandemic. What are some of the biggest challenges of operating a historic business along Route 66 in St. Louis?
Thank you again to everyone who has supported both the podcast and scholarship program through Patreon. The 2020 – 2021 scholarship program has opened. Please encourage all students in grades K – College to show their Route 66 spirit and apply here! The college award will be $500.
A big shoutout to those who have supported the Route 66 Podcast and Scholarship Program, including:
- Mary Beth Busutil – Florida
- Jim Crabtree – California
- Shellee Graham – Oklahoma
- Kristin Haakenson – Washington
- Rich Havik – Minnesota
- Brian Sawyer – Indiaana
- Charli Beeton – United Kingdom
Route 66 Businesses
- Mid Point Cafe – Adrian, TX
Congratulations to Patreon supporter Rich Havlik from Minnesota, who is the latest Patreon winner! Rich has won a Route 66 wall calendar.
Roamin’ Rich Links:
Website: Roamin’ Rich
Facebook: Roamin’ Rich
Twitter: Roamin’ Rich
Website: Gary Turner (Gae Parita Service Station)
Website: Missouri Route 66 Association
FB Page: Painted Desert Trading Post
FB Page: John’s Modern Cabins
FB Page: Eat-Rite Diner